To replace multiple spaces with a single space in Python, you can use
RegEx or use
split() function. Follow the article to better understand.
Replace Multiple Spaces With A Single Space In Python
In Python, Regular Expression is expressed via the ‘re’ module, so you have to import module ‘re’ before you want to use Regular Expression. Module ‘re’ has many methods and functions to work with RegEx, but one of the essential methods is ‘re.sub’.
Re.sub() method will replace all pattern matches in the string with something else passed in and return the modified string.
re.sub(pattern, replace, string, count)
- pattern: is RegEx.
- replace: is the replacement for the resulting string that matches the pattern.
- string: is the string to match.
- count: is the number of replacements. Python will treat this value as 0, match and replace all qualified strings if left blank.
- Import module ‘re’.
- Call the re.sub() function to replace multiple spaces with a single space. Pattern initialization has the effect of replacing multiple spaces with a single space.
import re multSpacesStr = "visit learnshareit website" # Use the re.sub() function to replace multiple spaces with a single space resultStr = re.sub('\\s+', ' ', multSpacesStr) print(resultStr)
visit learnshareit website
Use join() and split() function
You can use the join() function combined with the split() function to replace multiple spaces with a single space.
- object: list or tuple containing elements that are strings to be concatenated.
The join() function returns an object that is a character string of the elements of the specified list or tuple joined together by a delimiter.
- sep: the character that splits the original string into a small string. The default is a space.
- maxsplit: maximum number of splits.
The split() function splits a string in Python with a delimiter and returns a list whose elements are just split strings.
- Create a string with multiple spaces.
- Use the join() function combined with the split() function to replace multiple spaces with a single space.
multSpacesStr = "visit learnshareit website " # Use the join() function combined with the split() function to replace multiple spaces resultStr = " ".join(multSpacesStr.split()) print(resultStr)
visit learnshareit website
If you have any questions about how to replace multiple spaces with a single space in Python, leave a comment below. I will answer your questions. Thank you for reading!
Maybe you are interested:
- Remove Leading And Trailing Zeros From A String In Python
- How To Remove Everything Before A Character In A String In Python
- Ways To Split A String By Tab In Python
My name is Jason Wilson, you can call me Jason. My major is information technology, and I am proficient in C++, Python, and Java. I hope my writings are useful to you while you study programming languages.
Name of the university: HHAU
Programming Languages: C++, Python, Java